Bad audio quality with 500 clients

Andrés Lorek
Hello everybody!

I need some help trying to identify the root of a problem we're having with our audio quality with a lot of clients connected.

The situation is the following: I load a Red5 server with ~500 dummy RTMP clients and make them listen for two streams. I start to "stop and play again" one of those streams and turn the video on and off (not in an agressive way, I make the changes every 30 seconds).
At some point, when I turn the video on, I start to hear the audio with bad quality, with some "holes" in the transmission. You can hear the effect on the sample.flv file I attached to this question. After that, even if I switch back to only audio mode or turn the stream on and off, the quality never gets better for that client.
But... and this is really strange, I can start streaming with another client and he can stream with perfect quality, at least for a while.

What do you think this could be? Some wrong configuration in red5.properties? Is it a Red5 limitation? The connection is congested? Is it some buffer that remains with bad data?
Maybe, is it a hardware limitation? I think this is not the problem, we're using a virtual machine with 8 cores and 28Gb RAM memory, and CPU never goes over 25% and memory is around 7%.

We're using Red5 1.0.6. Migrate to 1.0.7 or 1.0.8 is not an option for us right now, because for a specific part of our system we use a third part library that doesn't work with the newest versions of Red5.

Even if you don't know the solution for this, any clue or idea to research you have is really welcomed!!

Thanks in advance!
Andrés.

sample.flv (188K) Download Attachment

Re: Bad audio quality with 500 clients

Andrés Lorek
Adding some information after some days testing.

The problem can be solved if I refresh the browser's page where the app runs, but after a couple of transmission's on/off, the effect appears again.
It's really strange because we made a small app where every time the user wants to stop and start again the transmission, we make a reconnection to Red5 server. Assuming that this is the same as a page refresh. But in this case, the problem persists...

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

El miércoles, 18 de enero de 2017, 18:39:51 (UTC-3), Andrés Lorek escribió:
[...]

Rajdeep Rath
Hmm not sure I can pin point the issue but here are some observations..

1. You do happen to be using a old version so I cannot say if there is a condition there or not. You should try to use the latest ...Even if not for production purpose... Just to test and see if you can reproduce the issue.

2. There is no 500 client limit anywhere. You can go as far as your CPU / ram / bandwidth allow.

3. Could be something interesting on the flash player side ?? Bad audio can also be audio data corruption on the client side.

You can explore options in red5.properties if you want, though I don't know which option can actually help you here.

May be someone can answer better, but at the moment this i all I can say.

On Jan 29, 2017 6:47 AM, "Andrés Lorek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Rajdeep!

I will continue testing taking your feedback into account. I will let you know if I find something.

Thank you!