Getting started with red5

mens sana
Hello !

I'm looking for any tutorial, sample code and documentation for Red5... I have installed the last versions of Red5 and Eclipse on ubuntu, but I don't know how to start.

The problem is that the tutorials I find seem very outdated. They often explain how to install the Infrared5 plugin for Eclipse, which doesn't work anymore (a basic Dynamic Web Project fails, the import locations can't be resolved).

So I'm in desperate need of some sample code to tell me how to call Red5.. Where could I find some ?

Thanks

Re: Getting started with red5

Mondain
Finding outdated tutorials and guides for a 12 year old open source project shouldn't be unusual. Just like the old days of HTML coding, the best guide is looking at the source in my opinion; luckily for the internet, Red5 and all its parts are open source and available via Github. The Red5 Pro guides are the latest and best guides that I am aware of and you don't have to have a FREE nor paid license to apply the instructions to your own project, one such guide is here: https://www.red5pro.com/docs/server/red5prolive/
Also if you are familiar with developing JEE apps for Tomcat, you can create one of those and simply drop it in to your red5/webapps directory and in a lot of cases it will run as expected; then once that's working, you can get fancy and add Red5 logic.
One of the best and most basic red5 applications can be found here: https://github.com/Red5/red5-examples/tree/master/oflaDemo
The client side app is here (requires Flash CS "ofla_demo.fla"): https://github.com/Red5/red5-flash

Paul

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 8:35 AM mens sana <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello !

I'm looking for any tutorial, sample code and documentation for Red5... I have installed the last versions of Red5 and Eclipse on ubuntu, but I don't know how to start.

The problem is that the tutorials I find seem very outdated. They often explain how to install the Infrared5 plugin for Eclipse, which doesn't work anymore (a basic Dynamic Web Project fails, the import locations can't be resolved).

So I'm in desperate need of some sample code to tell me how to call Red5.. Where could I find some ?

Thanks

Re: Getting started with red5

mens sana
Oh I had found the Red5pro documentation but I didn't know it applied to Red5...

Does that mean the open source Red5 is still updated with the changes in Red5pro ?

If so, it's still a bit sad that nobody makes them tutorials anymore to discover Red5 with its latest changes..

Thanks a lot for the links !

Re: Getting started with red5

Rajdeep Rath

It would help  if you can mention what exactly were you looking for and what you were expecting in a given order.

If you can specify those i will see if I can make some effort in that direction. ☺

On Sep 8, 2016 9:02 PM, "mens sana" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh I had found the Red5pro documentation but I didn't know it applied to Red5...

Does that mean the open source Red5 is still updated with the changes in Red5pro ?

If so, it's still a bit sad that nobody makes them tutorials anymore to discover Red5 with its latest changes..

Thanks a lot for the links !

Re: Getting started with red5

Mondain
Just for clarification and to clear up and confusion:
  • Red5 - Is an open source media server written in java which has existed since around 2005
  • Infrared5 - A commercial company which funds development of Red5
  • Red5 Pro - A commercial closed source product which is built on-top of Red5 and includes mobile SDK's, clustering, RTSP streaming, HLS streaming, WebRTC, autoscaling, and much more...
Fixes and some new features do get placed into the Red5 open source repo based on work performed on Red5 Pro.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM mens sana <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh I had found the Red5pro documentation but I didn't know it applied to Red5...

Does that mean the open source Red5 is still updated with the changes in Red5pro ?

If so, it's still a bit sad that nobody makes them tutorials anymore to discover Red5 with its latest changes..

Thanks a lot for the links !

Re: Getting started with red5

mens sana
Fixes and some new features do get placed into the Red5 open source repo based on work performed on Red5 Pro.

Makes sense.. I'll start with the docs for Red5 Pro then.

It would help  if you can mention what exactly were you looking for and what you were expecting in a given order.
If you can specify those i will see if I can make some effort in that direction. ☺

Specifically I want to use Red5 as a server for a realtime multiplayer Flash game. I'm looking into Red5 because I want the game to remain free, whatever the final scale.

From what I gathered, it would make use of Red5 shared objects. Other features would be the usual chat, room management, etc.

Having a little experience with Java, I hope to make it work. The only viable alternative I found would be using Node and socket.io

Any hint in these directions greatly appreciated :)

Re: Getting started with red5

Rajdeep Rath
Your choices for your goal are quite precise. since it is a chat / game a socket based server si what you need. you may go with nodejs / red5 / other socket servers depending on your other requirements other than simple data transmission, programming language familiarity, development time etc: A good reason to use red5 would be if you wish to add a video / audio part to your chat using a separate flash component later. This is where red5 would be a good choice.Red5 can handle both flash and websocket clients.

For Javascript + Red5 game / chat

1. You do need to know some bit of java, javascript, websocket

2. you would be using shared object for sharing data between endpoints.

3. if you are building a flash chat then no issues if you are going to build javascript chat then you need to go for websocket part fo red5.
.
Basically if you need to connect javascript client to red5 code, WebSockets is one of the good ways.

Here is a very good direction on getting started with that. Plus you don't have to build an application from scratch, you can start with this and modify it to your own app.

This is the code of the chat app included in red5. if you can grasp this you can adapt it to send / receive complex JSON, in which you can transmit messages / data as you see fit.

The code demonstrates cross communication between flash and WebSocket clients.. You should just focus on WebSocket.

One to many

3.1 capture data from WebSocket client and write it to shared object in java
3.2 observe shared object sync
3.3 read data from shared object and send it to WebSocket clients

One to One

3.1 Devise a way to identify WebSocket connections
3.2 Capture data from WebSocket client
3.3 either send message directly to required client or send to all and filter data on client side

SharedObject can also be used for 3.3 above if you plan to filter data on client side.

For Flash + Red5 game / chat

1. You dont need to write any special server side code. All red5 apps like "live" / chat / vod will automatically work with sharedobjects as does fms or any other media server.

2. To get started just connect to the rtmp from flash client : example: rtmp://host/live

3. Create and use shared objects from flash as3 code. No need to bother with server side.

4. Study this example: https://github.com/Red5/red5-flash/blob/master/BallControl.fla

Remember to set rtmp app name to "live " when testing this. (assuming you have a red5 instance running on your machine)

Good luck!!
(sorry for typos)

Let me know if this helps.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:48 PM, mens sana <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fixes and some new features do get placed into the Red5 open source repo based on work performed on Red5 Pro.

Makes sense.. I'll start with the docs for Red5 Pro then.

It would help  if you can mention what exactly were you looking for and what you were expecting in a given order.
If you can specify those i will see if I can make some effort in that direction. ☺

Specifically I want to use Red5 as a server for a realtime multiplayer Flash game. I'm looking into Red5 because I want the game to remain free, whatever the final scale.

From what I gathered, it would make use of Red5 shared objects. Other features would be the usual chat, room management, etc.

Having a little experience with Java, I hope to make it work. The only viable alternative I found would be using Node and socket.io

Any hint in these directions greatly appreciated :)

Re: Getting started with red5

mens sana
Yes thanks a lot ! I will go for Flash + Red5. The sample fla will definitely help :)

I'm not sure what you mean by no server side code.

Shouldn't the server control the physics of the game ? Have a set of custom messages (to handle the players input) and check that they are valid ? Distribute the state with hopefully some latency defeating technique ?

I thought the goal of using Red5 was to program all this in Java... Maybe I'm mistaken.

Re: Getting started with red5

Rajdeep Rath

Yes you can code your custom logic in java. What I meant by 'no server side code' is if you are doing a very simple app without validation and all.

You can most definitely do validation and other stuff from the server side code in java. Mist of your code will be in the main red5 application class which extends the MultiThreadedApplicationAdapter in red5. When you are going to push broadcast messages it's just simpler to do validation on clientside than on server. But that's just my idea, you can do it anyway you like.

Take a look at the websocket chat example anyways for server side shared object handling code snippets, application structure etc etc.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to. Information sharing is always good ☺

On Sep 9, 2016 5:08 PM, "mens sana" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes thanks a lot ! I will go for Flash + Red5. The sample fla will definitely help :)

I'm not sure what you mean by no server side code.

Shouldn't the server control the physics of the game ? Have a set of custom messages (to handle the players input) and check that they are valid ? Distribute the state with hopefully some latency defeating technique ?

I thought the goal of using Red5 was to program all this in Java... Maybe I'm mistaken.

Re: Getting started with red5

mens sana
Yes I'll come back when I'm full of errors :D

Re: Getting started with red5

Rajdeep Rath

Good luck