Quantcast

How make flash player to stop buffering live stream.

How make flash player to stop buffering live stream.

Pierrick
Hello,

I'm currently working with red5 (0.7), and I'm streaming audio conversation.
My setup works fine, except when flash is playing the audio stream from red5.

In this case, I encounter a delay, something from 0.5s to 1.3s, which is very annoying during a conversation.
I tried to correct this delay with the following flash parameters :

incomingNetStream.bufferTime = 0;

result :

incomingNetStream.liveDelay don't stop growing until a liveDelay of 0.7s
incomingNetStream.bufferLength = 0

So, after some research on google, I find a reference to a bug, which say : liveDelay don't stop growing if netStream.bufferTime= 0

with hope, I set up incomingNetStream.bufferTime to 0.1 (threshold of this bug)

result :

incomingNetStream.liveDelay = 0
incomingNetStream.bufferLength don't stop growing until 1.3s

Did someone know how to stop flash to buffering more than 0.3s ?

Pierrick Grasland

Re: How make flash player to stop buffering live stream.

Pierrick
Hello,

Thanks for your response. In my case, I have less than 100ms of network and server-side operations latency between my flash host and my red5 host (do an echo) (checked with wireshark on my Flash host).
But, the majority of my delay is generate by flash.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Ignacio Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Walter Tak
The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5 has to buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to buffer them a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is pretty good, especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of broadcasting.

Re: How make flash player to stop buffering live stream.

Argenacho
Yes...I agree with Walter. I have tried live streaming in scenarios of low latency (30 ms) and good hardware in both client and server, and have narrowed it down to a bit less than 1 second, but that was it. I think that 1 sec is pretty good taking into account that we are doing TCP/IP streaming =P

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Walter Tak <[hidden email]> wrote:
The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5 has to buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to buffer them a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is pretty good, especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of broadcasting.

Re: How make flash player to stop buffering live stream.

SteveRicketts
I have a live stream in 0.7 and for some clients I'm getting an ever gowing buffer, more than 30 seconds.  I've tried following the instructions below but I'm using VideoDisplay to show the incoming stream and don't have a liveDelay property.

What do I need to do to keep the delay to less than 3 seconds?  Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Walter Tak wrote
The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5 has to buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to buffer them a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is pretty good, especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of broadcasting.

Re: How make flash player to stop buffering live stream.

dsgirard
andy suggested a serverside solution using this interface

http://dl.fancycode.com/red5/api/org/red5/server/stream/IFrameDropper.html

haven't played with it yet, but I plan to asap,

Walter Tak wrote:

> The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5 has to
> buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to buffer them
> a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is pretty good,
> especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of broadcasting.

Wow... looks like it could fix my problem but way over my head on the server side code.  Very much a newbie to Red5 and Java.  Best I can tell the author is:

The Red5 Project (red5@osflash.org), Joachim Bauch (jojo@struktur.de)

So, I looked around and found this code:

http://cassy.dfmk.hu/~cassy/flash_video_streaming/src/src/org/red5/server/stream/VideoFrameDropper.java

I can't tell how this would drop packets for all clients that are connected to the server or just drop them for those clients that are starting to buffer packets.  You wouldn't want to drop packets for those that were keeping up, just the ones that are falling behind.

Anyway, my application is not really usable the way it is, can't have some clients getting so far behind others in the live stream, so I'm willing to give anything a go.  So, where would this code go?  I assume this could go in my application (somehow) although looking at some of the other posts it looks like some people have tried this sort of thing inside Red5 and rebuilding it.

It would be an understatement here to say any direction is greatly appricated... but if anyone can point me in the right direction... ;-)

Many thanks,

Steve

dsgirard wrote

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM, SteveRicketts <velocedge@hotmail.com>wrote:

> I have a live stream in 0.7 and for some clients I'm getting an ever gowing
> buffer, more than 30 seconds.  I've tried following the instructions below
> but I'm using VideoDisplay to show the incoming stream and don't have a
> liveDelay property.
>
> What do I need to do to keep the delay to less than 3 seconds?  Any
> direction is greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve
>

> Walter Tak wrote:
> >
> > The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5 has to
> > buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to buffer them
> > a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is pretty
> good,
> > especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of broadcasting.

David Négrier
Hi Devon,

I've read several times that the answer might be in the
VideoFrameDropper on this mailing list.
Actually, I've had a quick look at the usage of the VideoFrameDropper
class and it seems it is used only in PlayEngine.java.
It seems to be used by default, and it also seems that there is no way
to configure it without modifying the server code.

My understanding is that the VideoFrameDropper  (and the IFrameDropper)
are internal classes that are not meant to be exposed to the Red5 user.
Red5 devs, could you confirm this?
Also, any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated, since I'm
facing the same problem of a delay increasing while I'm speaking.

David.

devon girard a écrit :

> andy suggested a serverside solution using this interface
>
> http://dl.fancycode.com/red5/api/org/red5/server/stream/IFrameDropper.html
>
> haven't played with it yet, but I plan to asap,

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM, SteveRicketts <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     I have a live stream in 0.7 and for some clients I'm getting an
>     ever gowing
>     buffer, more than 30 seconds.  I've tried following the
>     instructions below
>     but I'm using VideoDisplay to show the incoming stream and don't
>     have a
>     liveDelay property.
>
>     What do I need to do to keep the delay to less than 3 seconds?  Any
>     direction is greatly appreciated.
>
>     Steve
>

>     Walter Tak wrote:
>     >
>     > The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5
>     has to
>     > buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to
>     buffer them
>     > a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is
>     pretty good,
>     > especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of broadcasting.
>     >
>     >

Well, that would certainly make me feel better about my confusion!  ;-)   But if this is correct, it's not a good thing for the result.  This type of problem seems to appear in the forum in many different forms, but basically the same thing... the buffer/delay continues to grow in a live stream for those that don't have an excellent connection to the source.

I would think this is a critical issue for anyone trying to do live sessions.  Can anyone shed some difinitive light on how to deal with this?

Many thanks,

Steve

David Négrier wrote

devon girard a écrit :
> andy suggested a serverside solution using this interface
>
> http://dl.fancycode.com/red5/api/org/red5/server/stream/IFrameDropper.html
>
> haven't played with it yet, but I plan to asap,

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM, SteveRicketts <velocedge@hotmail.com
> <mailto:velocedge@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I have a live stream in 0.7 and for some clients I'm getting an
>     ever gowing
>     buffer, more than 30 seconds.  I've tried following the
>     instructions below
>     but I'm using VideoDisplay to show the incoming stream and don't
>     have a
>     liveDelay property.
>
>     What do I need to do to keep the delay to less than 3 seconds?  Any
>     direction is greatly appreciated.
>
>     Steve
>

>     Walter Tak wrote:
>     >
>     > The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5
>     has to
>     > buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to
>     buffer them
>     > a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is
>     pretty good,
>     > especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of broadcasting.
>     >
>     >

C++ RTMP Server
Hi David,

I've invested a lot of time and effort to make the live A/V work in my
C++ implementation of the RTMP protocol.
Also red5 code was EXTREMELY helpful (basically, when I didn't knew
something about RTMP, I've turned my attention on red5 and see how it
was done there :). But dropping frames to achieve synchronization is
wrong. I've managed to keep the A/V synchronized without dropping
frames at all. The algorithm is simple at the first look but when you
start to implement it and you try to cover all "edge" cases it quickly
becomes complicated. I can arrange for a live demo if you guys want to
test it. Let me know if this is the case. I can also explain what I've
done in the code side.

Regards,
Andrei

On Dec 28, 2008, at 3:08 PM, David Négrier wrote:

> Hi Devon,
>
> I've read several times that the answer might be in the
> VideoFrameDropper on this mailing list.
> Actually, I've had a quick look at the usage of the
> VideoFrameDropper class and it seems it is used only in
> PlayEngine.java.
> It seems to be used by default, and it also seems that there is no
> way to configure it without modifying the server code.
>
> My understanding is that the VideoFrameDropper  (and the
> IFrameDropper) are internal classes that are not meant to be exposed
> to the Red5 user. Red5 devs, could you confirm this?
> Also, any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated, since I'm
> facing the same problem of a delay increasing while I'm speaking.
>
> David.
>

> devon girard a écrit :
>> andy suggested a serverside solution using this interface
>>
>> http://dl.fancycode.com/red5/api/org/red5/server/stream/IFrameDropper.html
>>
>> haven't played with it yet, but I plan to asap,

>> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM, SteveRicketts
>>

>>    I have a live stream in 0.7 and for some clients I'm getting an
>>    ever gowing
>>    buffer, more than 30 seconds.  I've tried following the
>>    instructions below
>>    but I'm using VideoDisplay to show the incoming stream and don't
>>    have a
>>    liveDelay property.
>>
>>    What do I need to do to keep the delay to less than 3 seconds?
>> Any
>>    direction is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>    Steve
>>

>>    Walter Tak wrote:
>>    >
>>    > The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5
>>    has to
>>    > buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to
>>    buffer them
>>    > a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is
>>    pretty good,
>>    > especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of
>> broadcasting.
>>    >
>>    >

Andrei, I'd certainly be interested in what you've done... I don't really care how the problem is fixed so anything delivers the desired end result would be of considerable interest.  I'm using Flex 3 to build both the client and host side of the application so I'm not sure if I could take advantage of your C++ implementation but it would be interesting to know how you approached the problem and if it could be incorporated into Flex.

Steve

Eugen-Andrei Gavriloaie wrote
> [...]

>>    ever gowing
>>    buffer, more than 30 seconds.  I've tried following the
>>    instructions below
>>    but I'm using VideoDisplay to show the incoming stream and don't
>>    have a
>>    liveDelay property.
>>
>>    What do I need to do to keep the delay to less than 3 seconds?
>> Any
>>    direction is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>    Steve
>>

>>    Walter Tak wrote:
>>    >
>>    > The publisher has to encode the frames, send them to Red5, Red5
>>    has to
>>    > buffer and resend them to the subscriber, subscriber wants to
>>    buffer them
>>    > a bit and needs to decode them. A one (1) second roundtrip is
>>    pretty good,
>>    > especially if it's still 1 sec after a long time of

Hi Steve,

I don't know much about flex. In fact I've never played around with
it. What I want to say is that dropping frames to achieve
synchronization is not the good path. IMHO the server can drop frames
only when the client has bandwidth problems and some other related
issues. Dropping frames should not be used for synchronization. The
synchronization is made from the very beginning and it should stay
that way for the lifetime of the stream. If this is not happening than
there is a problem in the server that is providing the streams.

As for the solution that I want to present you, it is a beta release
of my server. A prof of concept actually (nothing fancy or fully
functional). Anyway, I took the time to test it very well on the A/V
sync problems by putting a computer at my place of work to
continuously publish a movie for 24 hours. My computer at home was
playing that stream. After 24 hours, the stream was perfectly
synchronized.

I'll get back back to you as soon as I have the demo up and running.

Regards,
Andrei