Red5 "client-side" freeze

Jonathan Hawkes-2
I am using steamStream along with the latest trunk of Red5 to
simultaneously decode/encode streams from 6 different webcams.

http://www.red5wiki.com/wiki/SteamStream

Every so often -- and at apparently random intervals -- the picture in
the Flash player will freeze. Note that Red5 doesn't freeze, and a
simple page refresh gets the stream "chugging" along once more. My
guess is that Flash is dropping what it thinks to be late frames. Or I
could be completely wrong.

Of course, simultaneously decoding 6 MP4 streams and re-encoding them
as FLV is pretty processor intensive. The CPU is often pegged at about
50%, but only 50% and the load avg. remains quite low at .4.

The "freezing" starts to become noticeable after the server has been
running about 15 minutes, so it could be related to garbage
collection.

Any ideas? What about ideas on how to profile/debug? Anything would be
appreciated.

Thank you Red5 team for all your hard work. And thank you fellow
developers.
-Jonathan

Re: Red5 "client-side" freeze

Andy Shaules-2
Can you use the webcams with the NSV shoutcast tv encoder?

I'd recommend feeding the server with nsvCap.exe into the shoutcastH264 jar
over anything else at this point. ( unless you have special graphical
requirements and production). In that case, I'd still recommend it but in
conjunction with other software.

http://www.thebitstream.com/?page_id=13

If I had a mp4 ip webcam myself, I would probably write a transcoder that
convets to AVC video sans ffmpeg. It appears to me that you'd get more
milage out of transcode than decode/re-encode.

Anybody out there want to commission the bitstream.com to produce an
ip-web-cam subscriber object?

heheh