Streaming other containers like MP4 or WebM sources

Streaming other containers like MP4 or WebM sources

Rafael Linux User
Hello
I just got to run Red5 on OpenSUSE and most of local examples are working. Anyway, all players of demo are Flash players using an FLV video but I don't want to use flash anymore, but HTML5 and MP4, WebM or Ogg/Vorbis.

Please, is there any example of this? What I need to change to do it?

Thank you

Re: Streaming other containers like MP4 or WebM sources

Rajdeep Rath
Hello

Welcome to red5 and great to hear that you got things running on Suse linux.

The open source version offers rtmp streaming only. So I guess that goes synonymous with flash.

If you want to use mp4 etc to support standard html5 playback you have two options.

1. Just use red5 open source as a normal webserver and drop your html5 encoded media in a directory accessible to web. The simple embed the media URL in a HTML5 player and playback. - but then that's not red5 streaming.

2. Look at red5pro which has vod playback options for non flash clients - RTSP / HLS

On Mar 10, 2017 6:03 PM, "Rafael Linux User" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello
I just got to run Red5 on OpenSUSE and most of local examples are working. Anyway, all players of demo are Flash players using an FLV video but I don't want to use flash anymore, but HTML5 and MP4, WebM or Ogg/Vorbis.

Please, is there any example of this? What I need to change to do it?

Thank you

Re: Streaming other containers like MP4 or WebM sources

Rafael Linux User
Thank you Rajdeep

Well, the site will be for a public administration, so we will use only open source, but they need to publish in real time some public events. So, after reading your reply, I think Red5 open source version is not our best option, isn't it?

On Mar 10, 2017 6:03 PM, "Rafael Linux User" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kXV_kA6cAgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">rafael.l...@...> wrote:
Hello
I just got to run Red5 on OpenSUSE and most of local examples are working. Anyway, all players of demo are Flash players using an FLV video but I don't want to use flash anymore, but HTML5 and MP4, WebM or Ogg/Vorbis.

Please, is there any example of this? What I need to change to do it?

Thank you

Re: Streaming other containers like MP4 or WebM sources

Rajdeep Rath
If you need to publish live events. I guess you can always do publishing 'live' over rtmp and playback over rtmp or hls. There is a hls plugin for the open source (I have little knowledge on that). Perhaps that will suffice your need ?

Perhaps you can state the following

1. What are your needs ? - you may share it if it is publicly sharable.

2. Why are you looking at red5 in the first place ?

3. Are you going to do live streaming or video on demand ?

4. What kind of subscriber do you wish to target ? On desktop / on mobile ...

On Mar 10, 2017 7:42 PM, "Rafael Linux User" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Well, good questions to clarify what we need.

El viernes, 10 de marzo de 2017, 15:38:23 (UTC+1), Rajdeep Rath escribió:
If you need to publish live events. I guess you can always do publishing 'live' over rtmp and playback over rtmp or hls. There is a hls plugin for the open source (I have little knowledge on that). Perhaps that will suffice your need ?

Perhaps you can state the following

1. What are your needs ? - you may share it if it is publicly sharable.

We have monthly a minimum of 1 and up to 5 public live events that we want to publish in realtime. We want to let that videos as links after the event, but that's not a challengue.

2. Why are you looking at red5 in the first place ?

 Because we are looking for a reliable streaming server based on Open Source and GNU/GPL licensed. At this time, apparently Red5 is a good choice because is maintained  and updated recently.

3. Are you going to do live streaming or video on demand ?
We are looking only for live streaming. VOD is not neccesary. We will let live streamed videos  recorded and available to see as a webpage or even in YouTube.

4. What kind of subscriber do you wish to target ? On desktop / on mobile ...
Both. But if we need to choose, on desktop.

Thank you for your quick reply

Re: Streaming other containers like MP4 or WebM sources

Rajdeep Rath
1. Red5pro is for live streaming. you can then record the streams within red5pro while streaming live. Then use ffmpeg to convert flv to mp4 and WebM and serve from the same red5pro server (which is a standard tomcat Java server as well )

2. Yes red5pro is open source you can add extra functionality by coding if you need to.

3. There are a few solutions to get hls from rtmp stream in red5pro. You should explore them if you think of going that way.

4. You can play the rtmp streams in flash player / VLC / Android players that support rtmp.

5. You can play rtmp streams on mobile via Adobe AIR. ( Dont say I hate flash .. cause it hurts ;) )

All of the points I stated here uses open source / open platform solutions. Let me know if you have more questions.