Upload video files to red5 server

Madhuri SS
Hello guys, I m new to red5 servers.Just wanted to know can we upload videos to red5 server directly from html/js page and stream it?

Re: Upload video files to red5 server

Rajdeep Rath
Hello madhuri

Welcome to red5!

Yes you can do that but you have to create a uploader of your own. Consider the vod applicaton for this.

1. Create a a java script based uploader html / jsp page which may have a jsp as it's back end receiver script.(file upload handler servlet). Look for standard file upload in java / jsp.

2. The jsp files should be located at webapps/vod/ - test from browser

3. Move uploaded file from your tmp directory to streams folder (create the streams folder if it's not there inside vod app folder.

4. The streams folder should not be directly accessible via http. Block access to it using webapp/WEB-INF file - web.xml. Your web.xml should have this

<security-constraint>
<web-resource-collection>
<web-resource-name>Forbidden</web-resource-name>
<url-pattern>/streams/*</url-pattern>
</web-resource-collection>
<auth-constraint/>
</security-constraint>

>> This is java so make sure to restart server after making changes. <<

5. You can then stream it over rtmp://localhost/vod  using any standard player such as adobe strobe open source media player.

Make sure the file to be used is red5 compatible:
  • Streaming Video (FLV, F4V, MP4, 3GP)
  • Streaming Audio (MP3, F4A, M4A, AAC)
Hope that is what you were looking for.