newbie: centos 6 and milestone

neuronetv
I've been running red5-server-1.0.5-RELEASE on a centos 6 vps for a couple of years and it's always been good and reliable. Now I see a new thing called Milestone. What does milestone actually mean in red5? just a change of name?
Following the instructions at https://github.com/Red5/red5-server/wiki/Installation-on-Linux I did a test install of red5-server-1.0.9-M6.tar.gz on a centos 6 machine but it throws errors. The first one is:
Starting Red5
Unrecognized VM option 'MaxMetaspaceSize=128m'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
I had the latest java by downloading and installing jdk-8-linux-x64.rpm but when I do java -version I get java version "1.7.0_55", I thought it was supposed to be 8 (?).
So after trawling google I edited red5.sh to remove the MaxMetaspaceSize=128m bit but then it throws another error:
Error: Could not find or load main class org.red5.server.Bootstrap
As you can see I'm in a mess with this, can anyone help me get this started?

Re: newbie: centos 6 and milestone

Rajdeep Rath
Hi

The best person to explain the concept of milestones would be Paul (mondain).

I would recommend always sticking to release versions. 1.0.5 is very old. You should try for 1.0.7 release or 1.0.8 release if you are upgrading. Release versions are stable ones as far as I know.

On Mar 25, 2017 3:54 PM, "tony" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mondain
When you get an unrecognized vm option, simply removing it should work in every case. As Rajdeep states, we suggest sticking to "RELEASE" versions; the "M" pre-releases aka milestones are for proving out features and fixes prior to a standard release.

Your bootstrap issue may be a typo in the startup script, be careful when editing those. I also suggest Java 8 across the board, Java 7 and less are beyond their end-of-life with Oracle.

Regards,
Paul

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Rajdeep Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ok thanks for your feedback, do the later versions of red5 support streaming to mobiles (yet)? I know red5-server-1.0.5 doesn't, I've never seen it work on a mobile. Thanks for any further advice.

For mobile support you should look into red5pro @ red5pro.com. the open source version mainly supports desktop only (rtmp).